Making salad is time consuming. But you know you need to get to the city of greens if you are going to be paleo-awesome.
Eating salad is also time consuming. Really. In my early paleo days I was all about the rapid weight loss and I didn’t really know what I was doing so here was my protocol:
- Three salads a day. Each salad accompanied by one of those infuriatingly small deck-of-cards-sized portions of meat. Each salad consisted of infinite lettuce and just one cup of low carb veg. Like cucumber, celery & radishes. I was buying lettuce like a madwoman and consuming massive party-sized salads three times a day. I lost 75lbs in 5 months and I will not lie, I spent all of my discretionary time during those months making & eating salad.
I still think it was a good strategy for me at the time, but I want to do other things with my discretionary time now. Like run, do hot yoga, read, write, have fun with Matthew, go for walks with my girlfriends, and try to get my teenagers to hang out with me. That’s my yellow brick road.
I still make salads, a couple of times a week, but I’ve streamlined. Now I’m as likely to make a raw soup, like this one:
Emerald City Soup
- 1 cucumber
- 1 avocado
- 2 handfuls spinach leaves
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 green onions
- Juice of 2-3 lemons
- ¼ cup coconut aminos
- 1 litre (4 cups/1 large mason jarful) water
- A shake of Himalayan salt
- A generous shake of Chinese 5 spice
- A pinch of cayenne
- 1 cup watermelon cubes (optional)
Put all ingredients in a food processor or blender and hit play. Taste and adjust seasonings. Eat now or chill for later.
If you are on a dramatic weight loss kick, you might want to omit the watermelon temporarily.
Use a good amount of tomatoes & some bell pepper rather than avocado and spinach.
Eliminate the water & coconut aminos. Add a splash of olive oil.
Remove what you don’t like or what you don’t have.
Add what you do like and do have.
Chop parsley or cilantro or watercress finely with a clove of garlic and some (organic) lemon, lime or orange peel. Sprinkle generously on each bowl before serving.
Fill a mason canning jar, screw the lid on tight, toss it in your purse (or similar) and get started on your adventure.
Follow petra8paleo Paleo for humans in a decaying civilization; Paleo for people who hate to cook! on facebook.