Here’s my real-life paleo week in summary, from Thanksgiving Monday until Sunday evening.
Caveat: A week in my life pre-paleo was nothing like this.
Paleo week kilometers: 63. That breaks down to:
- 11.5km walking;
- 8.5km mushroom foraging; &
- 43km trail running, which coincidentally is about the length of a marathon… and that is amusing because marathoners usually finish in under 5 hours and I rocked one in just 7 days!;
I log my physical activities on mapmyrun.com, but had to guess for the mushroom hunting expedition as we were off-trail most of the time.
Though a week in my pre-paleo life wasn’t anything like this with regard to activity and food, some things remain the same. I still have a career, I’m still married to the sexiest man on the planet, and I still have a couple of fascinating, miscreant teenagers. But eighteen months ago, my weekly km log was more in the 0.00 range and I didn’t own a pair of running shoes. I went to yoga because it was the form exercise I hated the least, but the time I spent dreading yoga compared to the time I spent in class ran about 12:1.
Here’s my paleo week foodstuffs:
|Breakfast||I rarely plan a lunch-type meal. Sometimes I want one and sometimes I don’t. Sometimes I eat leftovers or veg or nuts or salad. Sometimes I eat nothing.||Supper|
|Monday||Coho salmon, yam oven fries, avocado||Turkey, roast parsnips & onions, green salad, blackberries & coconut cream|
|Tuesday||Scrambled eggs, kabocha squash, avocado||Turkey soup with leeks, cauli-rice pilaf|
|Wednesday||Bacon, yam oven fries, cooked kale||Leftover turkey soup with leeks, chanterelles with garlic|
|Thursday||Ham, spaghetti squash with paleo pad thai sauce & cashews||Steak, tabbouleh salad (made with leftover cauli-rice pilaf)|
|Friday||Chanterelle & kale omelettes, yam & carrot oven fries||‘Zucchini yacht’ stuffed with ground bison, green salad|
|Saturday||Ahi tuna steaks, sautéed apples with walnuts & bacon||Beef & mushroom slow cooker stew, sliced cucumber & green olives|
|Sunday||Coconut pancakes with blackberries & maple syrup||Fry-up of ground chicken, savoy cabbage & chard|
- I stowed turkey soup, chanterelles in turkey stock, and beef stew in the freezer for a rainy day.
- I put my higher carb foods into breakfast this week as I was running most mornings before I ate.
- Yams were 45 cents a pound for thanksgiving and they looked dandy! Even though I normally lurk the organic section in the supermarket, when conventional yams are looking that pretty & are that cheap… we eat yam-fries!
- In some ways this is a typical week but in other ways it’s just a randomized snapshot. For example, last week I ate a lot of sauerkraut at breakfast, but this week not once.