I’ve been on the Autoimmune Protocol (AIP) for 10 months. For 6 of those months, I’ve been experimenting with ketogenic variations of the AIP.
The top 10 things I love about being in ketosis:
- When I’m ketogenic I don’t get hungry in the afternoon. I don’t have to bring any food with me to work. Or go find food in the middle of the day. Though I still get to watch my coworkers do that on a daily basis!
- I don’t have an energy slump in the 2nd half of my workday. My energy is consistent and I can push through with sustained focus, all afternoon, which has been great for my career.
- I prefer the quality of my consciousness when I am in ketosis. It is something about sustained focus, but it also has a spiritual quality, a peak experience quality, that I am in completely love with. It feels different to run my body on ketones.
- My blood sugar is truly stabilized. In a way it has never been before. I have a new base of stability in my life.
- I eat less. Not in an anorexic way, but in a way that leaves more food for other people on this crowded little planet. In fact, it was my interest in Paleo Economics & Nutritional Ethics that first got me into ketosis.
- I eat less animal protein. It’s been 2 1/2 years since I started eating meat ( & I’ve learned to adore it), but I remain concerned about the welfare of the animals we raise for food. If I eat less meat, I can ensure that all the meat I consume is raised ethically and humanely. I can minimize (or completely eliminate) the suffering of the animals I eat.
My life is more sustainable. I can reduce the environmental impacts of the food production systems I rely on. Not just the environmental impacts of factory farming of animals, but also the quantity of organic vegetables that need to be shipped from Mexico during the long Canadian off-season, when locally grown produce is hard to find.
- I’m financially better off. Significantly, actually. Good quality food is expensive. Because I eat less of it, I have more money in my bank account. To pay down some of the debt we’ve accumulated over the years that Matthew has been debilitated by autoimmune conditions. Or for a trip to Hawai’i, maybe!
- I spend less time sourcing & preparing food. Less time in the kitchen & at the grocery store means more time for other things! Like writing blog posts, doing yoga & chilling with my children.
- Last but not least, ketosis is currently being investigated as a healing protocol for a number of serious health conditions, including cancer.