It’s not easy to find the paper Electromagnetic Hypersensitivity and Implications for Metabolism, hidden away on page 799 of Advancing Medicine with Food & Nutrients (2nd edition).
Easier to find the man who co-wrote it.
Finally, an explanation (& validation) for our long-standing suspicion that one of Matthew’s issues is an electromagnetic sensitivity.
Picking up where Benjamin left off…
Turns out, metal conducts electricity.
The wiring in your house.
And the metal in your body.
When infused with metals, our bodies can become conductors.
Matthew grew up playing in polluted creeks in Southwestern Ontario. Known pollutants from industries in the region include lead, mercury and nickel. From there, he moved on to automobile manufacturing, where he worked with powdered nickel, molybdenum, and cobalt. Then he switched to airplane manufacturing. He worked on some big ferries, too. The planes & ferries were all about aluminum, with some alloyed silicon, copper & manganese.
He’s riddled with metal, we figure.
We decided that he was electromagnetically sensitive years ago. Even though none of his doctors believed such a thing existed.
He was always better away from cities, out of cell phone range. He felt better when the power went out (I do, too).
We moved several times, kids, cats & all, trying to find a place in the city he could live. At one point (in one house) he was in bed 18-20 hours a day, unable to function. He improved somewhat when we moved again.
We noticed these patterns and then started to test our theory. The electromagnetic sensitivity hypothesis held up. 100% of the time.
Finally, we took radical action. Disrupted careers, community & all of our kids to move to a small island with minimal electromagnetic radiation, where Matthew was able to somewhat live
I say ‘we’.
I had teenagers to fledge & there is no highschool there. In reality, we became a family with 2 residences. But not in a fancy way. More like in a lots-of-credit-cards-perpetually-maxed-out way.
I live primarily in the city. Matthew lives primarily on the island. We travel back and forth.
All his symptoms return when he’s back in the city, so he has to limit his exposure. We are a 4-hour drive apart and miss each other like mad. But he’s been able to start rebuilding his life there. And one day the teenagers will be fledged and we can live together again.
When we first met Dr Cline, I was hesitant to mention our electromagnetic theory. I’ve receive so many patronizing looks from doctors. But condescension can’t kill you, so I shared our hypothesis.
“Yes.” he agreed. “In fact I co-wrote a paper about that.” He pulled a big blue book off the shelf, flipped to page 799 and handed it to me. I left that day with a copy of his paper & I’m going to give you the quick version here.
Electromagnetic Hypersensitivity and Implications for Metabolism
A brief summary of a paper by John C. Cline and Beth Ellen DiLuglio
Cline & DiLuglio explain that “The human body can be visualized as an electromagnetic semiconductor matrix that allows for instantaneous communication among all cells within the system.”
As electromagnetic semiconductor matrices, we interact with the electricity in our environments. Electromagnetic radiation comes from a variety of natural and human-made sources, but it’s the human-made ones that are proliferating and causing the problems.
Sensitivity to electromagnetic radiation increases the more metals & other toxins are lodged in the body. The more toxic our environment becomes, the less able we are to detoxify, and for some people electromagnetic hypersensitivity (EHS) can result.
According to Cline & DiLuglio, there is still a lot to learn about the origins of this hypersensitivity: “The exact pathenogenisis of EHS is unknown but may be related to aberrant patho-physiological responses to the bioaccumulation of toxicants from various potential sources such as toxic chemicals/metals, surgical implants, infections, dental materials, and radioactive compounds.” They explain that “after surpassing a threshold of bioaccumulation, the body’s immune system loses the normal adaptive responses (tolerance) and becomes sensitized to exposures from unrelated stimuli such as [electromagnetic frequencies].”
Some researchers are starting to pay attention to electromagnetic hypersensitivity, as it is now found “in a subset of the population on a worldwide basis-wherever there has been a rise in the exposures to [nonionizing radiation]”, but others remain dismissive (or hostile), because acknowledging the scope of the problem would require an upending of civilization as we know it.
This dismissal is similar to the medical establishment’s attitude toward the implication of food in many of our serious health problems.
Nonionizing radiation, unlike the ionizing kind we’ve been wary of for some time, includes most of the standard accouterments of first world life: cell phones, wifi, electricity, appliances, televisions and the computer I’m typing away on right now.
What does nonionizing radiation do to individuals who are highly sensitive?
Cline & DiLuglio explain: “Symptoms of EHS can vary and mimic those found in many other disease processes. Therefore, a high index of suspicion is required by the health practitioner when gathering historical information. Common signs and symptoms of EHS are listed as: general malaise, headache, thought-processing difficulties, memory impairment, heart palpitations, sleep disorder, immune dysfunction, inflammation, blurred vision, weakness, dizziness, chest discomfort, muscle pain, tinnitus, fatigue, nausea, night sweats, restless legs, and paresthesias.”
Got any of those?
I wake up with a headache every morning in my city apartment. Never at our island cottage.
How is it diagnosed?
“The diagnosis of EHS is supported when symptoms improve with treatment.”
And the primary question: How is it treated?
By removing the sources of electromagnetic radiation as much as is possible, and supporting the body’s ability to detoxify.
I’ll address that in part 2.